Swiss/SAS | Airbus A319/A320 | LGW-GVA-CPH-LHR | Economy/Business

 photo map.gif
Maps generated by theGreat Circle Mapper -copyright © Karl L. Swartz.
Back in September 2014, I was informed that Swiss were having a pretty good sale. The best bargain to be had was on their flights between Geneva and Copenhagen – with ticket prices at around £25 for their business class cabin. Fellow a.netter Gabriel asked if I wanted to join him on a date in December – I did, however as I had long run out of leave from work by then, I had to decline his offer. I still looked at other dates though, as I’d heard great things about their airlines Business Class. I eventually settled on a date in mid January on the GVA-CPH sector.
 photo LXJGVACPH.png
This left a slight issue – I don’t live in either Geneva or Copenhagen! No matter. I decided to fly out to Geneva the previous day and I studied various options. The previously mentioned Swiss sale meant that LX were once again the cheapest on the LON-GVA route – with a decently timed flight on their seasonal Gatwick operation.
 photo LXLGWGVAoptions.png
Although it still cost more for Y than for the following days J class ticket…
 photo LXLGWGVAitin.png
The final piece of the puzzle was to find my way back from Copenhagen. SAS came in with the best flight times and prices, so they were the winner. Also, a (very) slight bonus would be that this flight would be operated by the A320 – so far I’d only been on SK 737’s. It would also be my first time using T2 at LHR.
 photo SKCPHLHR.png
So the final map looked like this:
 photo map-2.gif
So a trio of Star Alliance flights for the weekend. A bit of a culture shock as I’m firmly planted in the OneWorld ecosystem. Still, it made a change from the seemingly endless BA flights I took in the final months of 2014.
On to the journey then:
I took a pretty empty train to Gatwick, arriving at around 8AM.
 photo IMG_1230.jpg
 photo IMG_1231.jpg
 photo IMG_1233.jpg

Close enough I guess…

I headed over to the Swiss check in area to grab a souvenir boarding pass, before heading through security.
 photo IMG_1234.jpg
 photo IMG_1236.jpg
Security was an experience. Once I’d reached the front of the queue, the machine had a bit of a technical glitch, therefore everybody had to give up and head over to another queue. The staff said we would be given priority but it seemed like this priority was only granted once the people at the front of said queue had passed through – the whole experience taking around thirty minutes.
 photo IMG_1237.jpg
 photo IMG_1238.jpg
 photo IMG_1240.jpg
Once I was through, I had a choice of two lounges to access via my Airport Angel card – the Aspire lounge and the No.1 Lounge. I opted for the Aspire lounge as I’d not been in that one before. I was given a half hearted welcome and once I was in, it was small, busy and there were virtually no views to be had.
 photo IMG_1244.jpg
 photo IMG_1247.jpg
 photo _MG_8347.jpg
At least they had bacon rolls

 photo IMG_1245.jpg
 photo IMG_1246.jpg
After around thirty minutes, I surrendered to the No.1 lounge…
 photo IMG_1249.jpg
Except I was told that they didn’t accept airport angel. Funny, they did on my last visit. Plan C then was to grab a drink from the Bridge Bar.
 photo IMG_1253.jpg
That didn’t work out either as it had transformed into a Nandos since my last visit, so I sat and used Gatwick’s pretty slow wifi to check in for my flight from GVA-CPH the following day.
 photo IMG_1251.jpg
Once I had done this it was more or less time to head down to gate 24.
 photo IMG_1255.jpg
Once there, I was finally able to get some view of the action outside. And as the air was more or less deserted, no issues with photography either.
 photo _MG_8349.jpg
 photo _MG_8348.jpg
 photo _MG_8350.jpg
 photo _MG_8351.jpg

G-VROM back in action after its mishap a few week previously.

 photo _MG_8355.jpg
Boarding started around fifteen minutes later.
 photo LXnew.jpg
January 2015
Airbus A320 / HB-IJU
Seat: 14A/ Economy
Scheduled: 10:10/12:45
Off Stand: 10:03
On Stand: 12:31

I made my way on board and got comfortable.
 photo IMG_1263.jpg
 photo IMG_1264.jpg
 photo _MG_8357.jpg
 photo IMG_1266.jpg
A few moments later, the boarding complete announcement was given and I’d managed to score the entire row to myself.
 photo IMG_1269.jpg
We pushed back around ten minutes ahead of schedule and made the short journey over to the runway.
 photo IMG_1273.jpg
 photo _MG_8358.jpg
Once we were there, it became apparent that ATC were sending the heavies off in one go, so we waited for ten minutes. During which time I had a great view of Golden Girl passing by.
 photo _MG_8359.jpg
Once the bigger guys had left, we ambled forwards on to the runway and lifted off into some initially clear skies, that soon turned grey.
 photo IMG_1274.jpg
 photo IMG_1276.jpg
 photo _MG_8361.jpg
As we passed through the bad stuff, the seatbelt sign was turned off and the crew started their service, a choice of a cheese sandwich or nothing. Still, it was better than the birdseed that BA dish up. I also asked for some “tea” and a water to wash it down with.
 photo _MG_8366.jpg
I’m not too sure what was going on with the tea but the cheese sandwich was very tasty.
 photo _MG_8367.jpg
 photo IMG_1283.jpg
Meanwhile, I took the time to update the report and listen to a bit of Royal Blood.
 photo _MG_8365.jpg
For the rest of the flight, I took advantage of their being nobody behind and reclined whilst watching the various Swiss scenes on the overhead screens.
 photo IMG_1280.jpg
 photo _MG_8370.jpg
Descent started around thirty minutes prior to arrival.
 photo _MG_8372.jpg
The famous Swiss chocolates were handed out a few moments later
 photo IMG_1287.jpg
There wasn’t much to be seen until on very short finals.
 photo _MG_8375.jpg
 photo _MG_8376.jpg
 photo IMG_1292.jpg
Once we did land, it was a short journey over to our remote stand.
 photo IMG_1294.jpg
Once we did arrive, everybody was up instantly despite the seatbelt sign still being on due to one of the engines still running.
 photo IMG_1298.jpg
Once the remaining engine was shut down, the whole aircraft was plunged into darkness.
 photo IMG_1299.jpg
The lights soon came on again though, and it was down the steps and on to a bus to the terminal.
 photo IMG_1300.jpg
 photo IMG_1303.jpg
Passport control was a little busy, but it still only took around ten minutes or so. Once I was in, I grabbed a free train ticket from the machine in baggage claim and headed off to find a train to the city.
 photo IMG_1306.jpg
 photo IMG_1307.jpg
As I still had a couple of hours or so until I could check in to my hotel, I took a look around the city.
 photo _MG_8383.jpg
 photo _MG_8388.jpg
 photo _MG_8392.jpg
 photo _MG_8394.jpg
 photo _MG_8398.jpg
Like most cities, the old town was of most interest.
 photo _MG_8407.jpg
 photo _MG_8408.jpg
 photo _MG_8409.jpg
 photo _MG_8412.jpg
 photo _MG_8413.jpg
 photo _MG_8414.jpg
 photo _MG_8421.jpg
 photo IMG_1315.jpg
I then made my way to the Design Hotel F6 where I had reserved a room for the evening.
 photo _MG_8422.jpg
During which time I checked in for the following days SK flight.
 photo IMG_1376.png
Some more shots of the city after dark.
 photo _MG_8432.jpg
 photo _MG_8433.jpg
 photo _MG_8435.jpg
Early the next morning, my alarm was sounding at 06:00. I got ready and headed out to the station to make the six minute journey to the airport.
 photo IMG_1325.jpg
 photo IMG_1326.jpg
 photo IMG_1329.jpg
Once there, I grabbed a souvenir boarding pass from the LX business desk. There was a family ahead of me with a whole load of suitcases, yet the two agents on the first dest continued to sit there chatting amongst themselves rather than call me forward.
 photo IMG_1331.jpg
 photo IMG_1333.jpg
A few moments later, I met up with fellow trip reporter Signol, who by coincidence happened to be on the same flight as me.
 photo IMG_1335.jpg
We passed through security and made our way up to the lounge for breakfast.
 photo _MG_8436.jpg
 photo _MG_8437.jpg
After around thirty minutes, we headed off to the first class lounge, courtesy of Signol’s Star Gold card – thanks for that! The first lounge was more or less the same as the business lounge, although smaller and busier. They had a few more food offerings but not too much.
 photo IMG_1341.jpg
After this, we made our way down to the gate. A plane pulled on to stand and it became apparent there would be a bit of a delay – although as far as we could hear there wasn’t any announcement made.
 photo IMG_1343.jpg
 photo IMG_1344.jpg
Boarding commenced at around 09:00, but we were then held on the jet bridge for a good ten minutes.
 photo LXlogo.jpg
January 2015
Airbus A319 / HB-IPU
Seat: 2A / Business
Scheduled: 09:00/11:00
Off Stand: 09:22
On Stand: 11:26

Once we finally did make it on board, it turned out that there were just three of us in business – so almost an private cabin!
 photo _MG_8438.jpg
I was handed a bottle of water and a wet wipe and asked if I wanted a newspaper. Flight time was announced as an hour and forty minutes.
 photo _MG_8439.jpg
We pushed back twenty minutes or so behind schedule.
 photo _MG_8440.jpg
 photo _MG_8441.jpg
It was then a pretty quick taxi over to the active, where we joined a pretty long queue for takeoff.
 photo _MG_8442.jpg
We finally did make it into the misty air forty minutes or so late.
 photo IMG_1362.jpg
 photo IMG_1363.jpg
After takeoff we were treated to some very good views of the surrounding area.
 photo _MG_8443.jpg
 photo _MG_8444.jpg
 photo _MG_8446.jpg
 photo _MG_8447.jpg
 photo _MG_8449.jpg
 photo _MG_8451.jpg
Shortly after departure the meal service began. At around the same time the captain made an announcement – I couldn’t really understand much of what was being said, but he did apologise for the delay.
 photo _MG_8453.jpg
There wasn’t any choice in meal selection – other than the bread.
 photo _MG_8454.jpg
I initially didn’t want to risk the tea again, but I then noticed Signol received a mug with its own bag and two chocolates. I figured if I could make my own maybe it wouldn’t be quite so bad? I ordered some and it came from the usual airline style tin tea pot – so the lukewarm milky mess I had on my previous flight. And I didn’t get any chocolates…
 photo _MG_8455.jpg
 photo _MG_8456.jpg
 photo _MG_8457.jpg
The rest of the flight was spent in seat 2D talking to Signol who was seated in 2F. During which the purser did the rounds with the chocolate basket.
 photo IMG_1373.jpg
Descent started around thirty minutes before landing, so I made my way back to my own seat.
 photo _MG_8458.jpg
There wasn’t too much to be seen on approach due to the cloud cover.
 photo IMG_1380.jpg
We touched down and made our way over to the A gates, disembarking a few moments later.
 photo IMG_1384.jpg
 photo _MG_8459.jpg
 photo _MG_8461.jpg
 photo _MG_8462.jpg
After a brief stop at the Transfer centre to get some boarding passes, we had a brief look at what was around.
 photo IMG_1393.jpg
 photo _MG_8463.jpg
Before heading up to the SAS lounge, where Robin once again guested me in – thanks once again.
 photo IMG_1396.jpg
 photo IMG_1400.jpg
Decent enough food options – including meatballs, salad, bread and cheese.
 photo IMG_1401.jpg
 photo IMG_1405.jpg
We grabbed a pair of seats in a quiet corner and spent the next couple of hours chatting.
 photo _MG_8465.jpg
At around 14:00, I made my way through passport control and along to gate D102 where a pretty lonely looking A320 was waiting.
 photo _MG_8466.jpg
 photo IMG_1409.jpg
 photo IMG_1410.jpg
 photo IMG_1413.jpg
As it turns out, this particular one is no stranger to LHR, having started its life with British Midland back in 2001 as G-MIDV. In somewhat of a coincidence, a few moments later, former sister ship G-MIDT (now wearing a BA uniform) pulled on to the adjacent stand.
 photo SASlogo.jpg
January 2015
Airbus A320 / SE-RJF
Seat: 19F / SAS Go
Scheduled: 14:50/16:00
Off Stand: 14:48
On Stand: 15:40

Boarding began, and was completed pretty quickly. Initially there was somebody sat in the aisle, although they quickly moved, meaning I had the row to myself again.
 photo IMG_1416.jpg
 photo IMG_1417.jpg
 photo IMG_1420.jpg
The flying time was expected to be an hour and a half.
 photo _MG_8468.jpg
We pushed back a couple of minutes early and headed over to the runway, departing pretty quickly.
 photo IMG_1423.jpg
 photo IMG_1428.jpg
We were into some clouds soon after.
 photo IMG_1431.jpg
And just a few moments after that, we emerged from them again.
 photo IMG_1435.jpg
 photo _MG_8469.jpg
Soon after, I watched a couple of episodes of Family Guy on my iPad.
 photo _MG_8473.jpg
During which time the Drinks service was performed, with seconds offered a few moments later.
 photo _MG_8474.jpg
 photo IMG_1438.jpg
I stuck with the iPad until a few moments before descent started.
 photo _MG_8476.jpg
 photo _MG_8478.jpg
 photo _MG_8479.jpg
We took the scenic route past London, which was lit up brilliantly in the low winter sunlight before touching down on to 27L.
 photo IMG_1443.jpg
 photo _MG_8481.jpg
 photo IMG_1444.jpg
 photo _MG_8482.jpg
 photo IMG_1448.jpg
 photo IMG_1452.jpg
After we landed, the captain appeared a little lost… (I’m sure he wasn’t though). Instead of taking a right in the direction of T2, we turned right and headed off in the direction of T5. Once we reached T5C, we did a U turn and headed off in the right direction.
 photo IMG_1453.jpg
 photo _MG_8483.jpg
 photo IMG_1455.jpg
We pulled in next to an A3 A321, and as it turned out we were parked on probably the nearest stand to border control.
 photo IMG_1460.jpg
 photo IMG_1462.jpg
 photo IMG_1463.jpg
 photo IMG_1466.jpg
From leaving the plane to seeing the sculpture out the front took around five minutes at the most due to there being no queue at all at the E passport machines. It was then through the tunnel to the bus station.
 photo IMG_1468.jpg
 photo IMG_1470.jpg
And with that, my first trip of 2015 was at an end.
Swiss continue to impress, and I’m glad I had the chance to try their business class cabin – the only slight complaint was that they could have offered a little more for breakfast – but maybe I’m being a little picky.
Same goes for SAS – if you can find a decent fare, then they’re a very good airline with friendly crew and a decent lounge, at least at CPH.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *