Jettime/SAS | B733/CR9 | LHR-CPH-BHX

 photo map.gif
Maps generated by theGreat Circle Mapper -copyright © Karl L. Swartz.
Once my two long haul trips of 2013 were sorted, it was time to look ahead to June. Being low on time off from work, this meant a weekend trip to somewhere in Europe. But where? One Saturday morning I sat down and explored options. It seemed logical to choose a weekend right in the middle of June, so the 15th/16th was set. Next up was where to go. Dusseldorf looked interesting from what I had seen, but the airlines/types just didn’t have the wow factor – except Air Berlin which operated an 07:25 service from STN – too early to get there in time, unless I stayed at the airport the night before, which would add to the cost of the trip. Next up was Munich, although that had the same problem as Dusseldorf – even flying with Air Berlin would mean I was put on that same flight out of STN with a connection in DUS. Oslo? Well maybe, but it was still on the B list.
One of the major points I was looking for was something a little different to flying an A32X out of LHR. Done that far too many times recently so looking for a change! Then I had the idea of flying with SAS on one of their MD81’s. Sure, it meant flying out of LHR again, but I could combine it with a CR9 back to BHX – a new type and airport for me. The only problem with this came from SAS’s website – you cant book an open jaw flight on it, so it was either two one way tickets or look elsewhere. Rather than book two one ways, I turned to Expedia and that gave me the desired itinerary on the one ticket. So out came the Visa card…
 photo CPHprice.png
 photo CPHit.png
Everything was confirmed on the SAS website.
 photo SASbooking.png
As hotel prices (along with everything else in this region) were a little steep in Copenhagen itself, I booked the Radisson Blu across the water in Malmo. It was slightly cheaper, plus it also meant I’d get to tick off another country and have a look around another city.
The final link in the chain was how to get back from Birmingham to where I live in Surrey. This was sorted via Virgin Trains. As they had a special offer on, it meant a first class ticket cost just £31 – where as a standard class ticket was £21. No brainer in my book!
The afternoon before departure, I checked in online.
 photo SASCheckin.png
 photo SASSeats.png

Still the MD81

 photo SASBP.png
Once the day of departure arrived, I set off at just after 10:30 and made the 10 minute walk to the station. As I hadn’t brought my ticket online, I used one of the machines to buy one.
 photo CPH001.jpg
At 11:05 the coach set off for LHR, arriving at 11:35, and just missing PalmJet, who was heading off to the USA via the Caribbean, for the third time, by an hour or so
It was then through the tunnels to terminal 3. Wonder why SAS don’t use T1 like most of the other Star Alliance carriers?
 photo CPH002.jpg
It was then on to grab my souvenir boarding pass.
 photo CPH003.jpg
Although the ssk didn’t seem to like my passport, so I had to queue up. I think SAS could do with a few more check in desks personally – just one agent for economy and one for business, despite there being quite a few flights departing.
 photo CPH004.jpg
A few moments later, I was beckoned over to the business class desk and handed a rather plain looking boarding pass.
 photo CPH005.jpg
It was then upstairs for a late breakfast. Or early lunch. Either way, I enjoyed it. And for those of you familiar with my reports, yes, this meal did put in appearance previously.
 photo CPH007.jpg
 photo CPH006.jpg
Whilst waiting for my food, I decided to do a quick check on flight radar to see if I could track my inbound plane.
 photo IMG_0144.png
Well that’s neither an MD81 or SAS.
Once I’d finished eating, I headed through security. It was pretty busy, as there were a number of VS flights departing, an EK A380 plus many more.
Once through, around fifteen minutes later, I went for a brief look through the busy departure area.
 photo CPH008.jpg
 photo CPH009.jpg
And then down to the window at gate 23. As the view was blocked, I decided to delve a little deeper, and took a walk down to gate 34 – where it was much quiter.
 photo CPH010.jpg
 photo CPH011.jpg
 photo CPH013.jpg

This livery is slowly growing on me

 photo CPH014.jpg

As is this one

 photo CPH015.jpg

Not much happening here. Scene of many VS departures to the US for me.

 photo CPH016.jpg
As boarding was nearing, I headed back to the main departure area to see which gate I’d be leaving from – 9.
 photo CPH017.jpg
 photo CPH018.jpg
Upon arrival at the gate, I tried to see some sort of confirmation of what aircraft I would actually be on. It was pretty difficult as there was barely any view out of the window, but a non T-Tail and Boeing style winglets meant it wasn’t the MD81. A few moments later, one of the flight crew sat at the computer next to me. I pulled up the screenshot from earlier in this post and asked if this was our jet – to which he replied it was. And that Jettime have a very friendly crew!
So it would be OY-JTA, delivered to America West as N172AW way back in 1987 and in service with them until 2002. From there, it went to Falcon Air Express, Sol Air, Aeromar Airlines, Aeropostal, Aero Honduras before a second spell at Falcon Air Express all under the reg of N371FA. It then spent a year in storage before Jettime were handed the keys in 2006.
Shortly after a very loud group of travelling Americans sat beside me – it appeared they wanted the whole gate area to know what an “awesome” time they had in London and their future plans. I was hoping I wouldn’t be sat near them, as I’d had enough after about thirty seconds!
Boarding was called at 13:50 for all status and business passengers…
 photo CPH019.jpg
…in theory.
Shortly after rows 20-25 were called and I made my way down.
 photo CPH020.jpg
 photo JTlogo.jpg
SK 504
15th June 2013
737-33A / OY-JTA
Seat: 25A / SAS Go
Scheduled: 14:05/17:00
Off Stand: 14:28
On Stand: 16:18

 photo CPH021.jpg
 photo CPH022.jpg
One thing that struck me once on board was that the legroom was a little tighter than usual, but nothing too serious on this short hop.
 photo CPH025.jpg
 photo CPH024.jpg
The crew member I spoke to was correct though – the crew was friendly!
As it turned out, I was in the final row. Suited me. Although I wonder where I would have ended up if I had selected row 26 on the MD81 at OLCI?
During boarding, there were many announcements telling people to not block the aisle so as to not hold up the boarding process. Of course nobody paid any attention, and it was a pretty drawn out procedure.
 photo CPH023.jpg
Once boarding was finally completed, the captain welcomed everybody on board and announced a flying time of 1h20.
There seemed to be a mix of American, Canadian, and the more obvious English and Scandinavian passengers on board. The flight seemed reasonably full, however the seat next to me remained open, with somebody in the aisle.
 photo CPH026.jpg
 photo CPH027.jpg
Pushback was made at 14:28, and the cabin lights were dimmed.
 photo CPH028.jpg
We made a very quick taxi over to 27R, however upon arrival we were at the end of a pretty long queue.
 photo CPH029.jpg
 photo CPH030.jpg
 photo CPH031.jpg
 photo CPH032.jpg
 photo CPH033.jpg
 photo CPH034.jpg
 photo CPH035.jpg
 photo CPH036.jpg
After quite a long wait, it was our turn to depart into a very turbulent sky at just before 15:00. In fact due to the runway switchover, we were the last aircraft to depart from 27R that day.
 photo CPH037.jpg
 photo CPH038.jpg
 photo CPH039.jpg
Following this was a bit of a rollercoaster ride through the clouds.
 photo CPH040.jpg
Finally, some fifteen minutes after departure, there was some daylight to be seen.
 photo CPH041.jpg
The seatbelt signs were then extinguished, and the crew announced the onboard service of a complimentary tea or coffee, and everything else had to be paid for – but by credit card only.
 photo CPH042.jpg
The service then began, with one trolley from the front and another from the back, just as we were heading out to sea. When browsing the in flight mag, there was a feature about a day in the life of one of the cabin crew members. When the trolley reached my row, I looked up and the crew member that was featured in the magazine was now serving me tea! Small world.
 photo CPH043.jpg
 photo CPH044.jpg
Tea was about the most to expect here. Not bad by airline standards.
 photo CPH045.jpg
The rest of the time on board was spent watching the world below through a very scratched window.
 photo CPH046.jpg
At 16:50 local, the captain gave an update, saying that we had started our descent, we were expected to be on the ground in 20/25 minutes and that there was quite a bit of turbulence on approach. Seemed to be the main theme of this flight!
On approach there was some quite heavy turbulence. Probably some of the heaviest I’ve experienced actually.
 photo CPH047.jpg
Once out of the cloud layer however things got much smoother.
 photo CPH048.jpg
 photo CPH049.jpg
 photo CPH050.jpg
 photo CPH052.jpg
 photo CPH051.jpg
 photo CPH053.jpg
Upon touchdown there were a couple of claps. Then it was over to the terminal.
 photo CPH054.jpg
We pulled in alongside something a little bigger than us.
 photo CPH056.jpg
There was the usual wait for the doors to be opened, although that didn’t stop the entire cabin getting up anyway.
As the jet bridges in CPH had glass walls, I was able to get my first proper glimpse of today’s jet (time).
 photo CPH057.jpg
 photo CPH059.jpg
It was then through to arrivals. Interesting how they don’t seem to separate arriving and departing passengers here.
 photo CPH060.jpg
 photo CPH061.jpg
 photo CPH062.jpg
There wasn’t any queue at passport control and I was stamped into country number six of 2013.
 photo CPH063.jpg
 photo CPH065.jpg
Once through customs, I was into quite possibly the busiest arrivals hall I’d ever seen!
 photo CPH066.jpg
It was then just a few steps down to catch the train over to Malmo, and country number seven of 2013.
 photo CPH067.jpg
 photo CPH070.jpg
Whilst waiting, a pretty big storm broke out. That meant that views from the train going over the bridge were limited.
 photo CPH058.jpg
Around half an hour later I arrived in a similarly wet Malmo central. I made the walk to the Radisson Blu hotel.
 photo CPH064.jpg
 photo CPH069.jpg
 photo CPH071.jpg
 photo CPH072.jpg
I checked in and made my way up to the very spacious room.
 photo CPH087.jpg
 photo CPH073.jpg
 photo CPH074.jpg
 photo CPH075.jpg
Around an hour later, the weather cleared up nicely so I headed out to see what Malmo was all about.
 photo CPH088.jpg
 photo CPH076.jpg
 photo CPH078.jpg
 photo CPH079.jpg
 photo CPH081.jpg
 photo CPH082.jpg

I’m used to seeing Irish pubs, but an English pub?

 photo CPH083.jpg

Sweden’s tallest building

 photo CPH085.jpg
 photo CPH086.jpg
 photo CPH089.jpg
 photo CPH090.jpg
 photo CPH091.jpg
I then sat by the water watching a great sunset with the local fisherman.
 photo CPH092.jpg
 photo CPH093.jpg
Before heading off to have a look at the old town.
 photo CPH094.jpg
 photo CPH095.jpg
 photo CPH097.jpg

Looks strangely familiar?

After a good walk around, I made my way back to the hotel around 10:30pm, spending the rest of the evening watching a couple of rubbish films on TV.
The following morning, I used my ipad to check in for my return sector.
 photo IMG_0146.png
 photo IMG_0145.png
I then headed downstairs for breakfast before checking out.
 photo CPH098.jpg

The darker of the sausages were reindeer. I didn’t think much of it.

I then had a brief walk around the local area.
 photo CPH099.jpg
 photo CPH100.jpg
Before heading in the direction of Malmo central to catch the train back to Denmark.
 photo CPH102.jpg
Unfortunately, as we crossed the Oresund Bridge back into Denmark, the rainy weather returned.
 photo CPH101.jpg
Upon arrival into Copenhagen, the weather had cleared up once more. I spent the next couple of hours walking the streets of the city.
 photo CPH103.jpg
 photo CPH104.jpg
 photo CPH105.jpg
 photo CPH106.jpg
 photo CPH107.jpg
 photo CPH108.jpg
 photo CPH109.jpg
 photo CPH110.jpg
 photo CPH111.jpg
 photo CPH112.jpg
 photo CPH113.jpg
 photo CPH114.jpg

That’s more like it!

Although as the day went on the rain returned, so I took refuge in a burger bar that Gabriel had recommended the day before – great recommendation, thanks!
 photo CPH115.jpg
 photo CPH116.jpg
After this, I made my way back to the station, catching the 14:35 train back to the airport.
 photo CPH118.jpg
Upon arrival, I headed over to a SSK to grab my actual boarding pass – no souvenirs today due to not having access to a printer.
 photo CPH121.jpg
 photo CPH122.jpg
Once again though this failed.
 photo CPH124.jpg
After three unsuccessful attempts at scanning my passport I gave up and joined a long queue at self service assistance. Immediately a Chinese passenger started asking me a whole load of questions in broken English that I didn’t know the answer to – why do people always ask me?!
 photo CPH125.jpg
 photo CPH126.jpg
Eventually I was handed my boarding pass and made my way up stairs and down a long corridor to a hassle free security.
 photo CPH129.jpg
 photo CPH117.jpg
And once out the other side, it was into the mandatory duty free shop.
 photo CPH132.jpg
Once I’d successfully negotiated my way past the perfume sprayers and watch salesmen, it was into a rather nice looking terminal.
 photo CPH133.jpg
 photo CPH136.jpg
There were quite a few windows around too.
 photo CPH119.jpg
 photo CPH120.jpg
 photo CPH123.jpg
 photo CPH127.jpg
I took the opportunity to buy a drink and to stock up with Ritter Sport at WHSmiths for the unreasonable price of £10.
 photo CPH135.jpg
At least that should last until my trip to Germany in a few weeks… Or a few months back by the time you read this!
After this it was a bit of a look around before heading through passport control. Once through, I found a quiet corner where I could grab a few more pics.
 photo CPH128.jpg
 photo CPH134.jpg
After this, I headed upstairs to some seats that offered a slightly better view.
 photo CPH139.jpg
 photo CPH130.jpg
I remained here until around 16:30 when I headed down to gate C19, although it wasn’t actually open – so I just hung around in that general area.
 photo CPH138.jpg
The gate finally opened at 16:50 and boarding began at 17:10. The bus made its way over to OY-KFF, delivered new to SAS in May 2009.
 photo CPH151.jpg
 photo SASlogo.jpg
SK 2535
16th June 2013
CRJ-900LR / OY-FKK Karl Viking
Seat: 21F / SAS Go
Scheduled: 17:20/18:15
Off Stand: 17:29
On Stand: 18:28

 photo CPH157.jpg
 photo CPH158.jpg
 photo CPH159.jpg

Not the tidiest of cabins on arrival

 photo CPH160.jpg
This flight looked to be pretty busy. I couldn’t see a single spare seat. Despite this the boarding process was completed pretty quickly. The captain made a brief announcement stating that the flight time would be an hour and forty five minutes.
 photo CPH140.jpg
 photo CPH141.jpg
We pushed back a couple of minutes behind schedule and made our way over to the active. There was a brief wait while a Norwegian 737 departed.
 photo CPH142.jpg
 photo CPH143.jpg
 photo CPH144.jpg
Once underway, at around 17:35, it was into the cloud and a few bumps, but nowhere near as bad as yesterday.
 photo CPH145.jpg
 photo CPH146.jpg
 photo CPH147.jpg
 photo CPH148.jpg
Shortly after departure, the crew announced the service was beginning and that items were available to buy – details in the menu card in the seat pocket.
 photo CPH154.jpg
 photo CPH152.jpg
 photo CPH153.jpg
 photo CPH149.jpg
 photo CPH150.jpg
Once again, tea and coffee were free of charge. I also grabbed an orange juice so I wouldn’t be stuck with that 10NOK coin for eternity! I was served by a female crew member who not only dished out the orange juice, but also plenty of genuine smiles.
 photo CPH161.jpg
 photo CPH188.jpg
 photo CPH190.jpg
 photo CPH184.jpg

Overhead detail

 photo CPH207.jpg
The captain was over the PA shortly after, saying we were cruising at 30,000ft. There was some turbulence ahead and that we were due into BHX in an hours time – so therefore five minutes behind schedule. So much for Europe’s most punctual airline!
 photo CPH155.jpg
 photo CPH156.jpg
 photo CPH162.jpg
Not much else happened before descent started at 17:50 local. Due to the cloud cover there wasn’t a huge amount to be seen until well on to finals. And then there was a pretty good view of Birmingham city.
 photo CPH164.jpg
 photo CPH163.jpg
 photo CPH165.jpg
 photo CPH166.jpg
 photo CPH167.jpg
 photo CPH168.jpg
 photo CPH169.jpg
 photo CPH170.jpg
 photo CPH174.jpg
 photo CPH175.jpg
 photo CPH176.jpg
 photo CPH171.jpg
 photo CPH172.jpg
 photo CPH173.jpg
 photo CPH177.jpg
 photo CPH178.jpg
 photo CPH179.jpg
Touchdown was made at 18:15 – so pretty much on schedule, and then it was a quick taxi over to the terminal, pulling in alongside a PIA 777. I couldn’t believe how small the spoilers were – can they really be doing anything?!
 photo CPH180.jpg
 photo CPH181.jpg
 photo CPH182.jpg
We arrived on to stand at 18:20. As usual, as soon as the aircraft stopped, everybody thought the doors would swing open immediately. Of course, this wasn’t the case.
 photo CPH183.jpg
 photo CPH185.jpg
 photo CPH186.jpg
Once the doors were opened, I was one of the last off. I made my way across the Tarmac and up the stairs to passport control.
 photo CPH189.jpg
 photo CPH187.jpg
 photo CPH191.jpg
 photo CPH195.jpg
 photo CPH192.jpg
 photo CPH193.jpg
A few moments later, I was officially back in the UK again and making my way towards Birmingham international station
 photo CPH194.jpg
 photo CPH196.jpg
 photo CPH197.jpg
 photo CPH198.jpg
 photo CPH199.jpg

BHX check in area.

Area where the shuttle stops.
 photo CPH200.jpg
 photo CPH201.jpg
 photo CPH202.jpg
I got on to a pretty quiet Emirates-y shuttle for the minute or so ride to the station.
 photo CPH203.jpg
 photo CPH204.jpg
 photo CPH205.jpg
 photo CPH206.jpg
It was then a bit of a wait for my train.
 photo CPH208.jpg

Guess I wont be making use of the lounge then.

 photo CPH209.jpg
Pretty soon after, the train arrived to take me to the South East.
 photo CPH211.jpg
 photo CPH210.jpg
Shortly after departing Birmingham, the limited service started. That box was a bit like a tardis – didn’t expect to have so much in there!
 photo CPH212.jpg
 photo CPH214.jpg
 photo CPH215.jpg
Before long, we had arrived at Watford Junction – those Pendolinos are fast!
 photo CPH216.jpg
The second trains first class section wasn’t anywhere near as fancy. In fact it wasn’t any different to standard class apart from some head cloths. There wasn’t even a plug to charge my phone up!
 photo CPH217.jpg
There was a bit of a hold up on this part of the journey. On planes, the crew ask if there’s a doctor on board. On trains it would appear the crew ask if there’s a member of the police on board!
Upon arrival at Clapham Junction, it was on to train number three of the evening making the final sector of my trip, lasting around 25 minutes or so.
 photo CPH218.jpg
This one was a little better.
I arrived back into Woking at around 21:30.
 photo CPH219.jpg

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *