CityJet/Brussels Airlines |Fokker F50/A319 | LCY-ANR/BRU-LHR

 photo map.gif
 photo map-2.gif
Maps generated by theGreat Circle Mapper -copyright © Karl L. Swartz.
Once I had returned from my trip to Australia, and booked my trip to the A.Net meet in AMS, I started thinking where I could go next. I looked around a few places of interest, most notably Madeira, but prices were more than I wanted to spend – much like Xmas, they were north of £300 return. Way too much for a Euro-Hop. I was chatting to somebody at work, and was telling them this and he reeled off a list of places – Spain… been there. France… been there – and recently. Then he said ‘I suppose you’ve done Belgium too’. Um, well yeah but not for a while, and only Brussels. Hmmmm. I knew CityJet ran their F50’s from LCY to ANR, so during tea break I took a look on their website.
 photo wxitin.png
So far so good. Rather than do a straight return though, I decided to take a look to see if Brussels Airlines still used their Avro’s on the BRU-LHR. They did, and again the price was much more reasonable.
 photo SNitin.png
And with that, a trip was born – it came in at a decent(ish) price, I got to log a new airport, a new type ( the F50) and visit a new city. Another bonus was that not only did it not contain any A32X’s or 737’s, it didn’t contain any Airbus’ or Boeing’s full stop! Or at least that was the theory…
During OLCI, The outbound flight didn’t seem all that full:
 photo Seats.png
I set off a little early so I could grab some breakfast, then made my way to the station for the the thirty minute or so journey to London Waterloo.
 photo BEL001.jpg
 photo BEL002.jpg
From Waterloo, it was the tube and the DLR over to LCY. As I arrived a little early, and it was a nice day, I took a walk out to the end of the runway.
 photo BEL003.jpg
 photo BEL004.jpg
 photo BEL005.jpg
 photo BEL006.jpg
I hung around for about ten minutes, but with not much going on, I headed indoors again.
 photo BEL010.jpg
Once inside, I grabbed a souvenir boarding pass before heading through security.
 photo BEL014.jpg
 photo BEL015.jpg
Once through, I grabbed a drink, watched a few of the movements and browsed the web on my iPad.
 photo BEL016.jpg
 photo BEL017.jpg
 photo BEL019.jpg
 photo BEL007.jpg
 photo BEL008.jpg
 photo BEL009.jpg
 photo BEL011.jpg
Once I was finished, I headed down to gate 22.
 photo BEL025.jpg
 photo BEL028.jpg
 photo BEL029.jpg
 photo WXlogo.jpg
June 2014
Fokker F50 / OO-VLP Spirit of VLM
Seat: 5D / Economy
Scheduled: 12:20/14:25
Off Stand: 12:22
On Stand: 14:19

I was welcomed into the holding pen and took a seat on one of the toadstools, in front of there OO-VLP was waiting.
 photo BEL012.jpg
I caught a quick glimpse of the computer screen and saw that there were just 22 on board today – so a nice low load.
 photo BEL030.jpg
Boarding was announced a few moments later and I made my way across the Tarmac.
 photo BEL031.jpg
 photo BEL032.jpg
 photo BEL033.jpg
Things were delayed a little by somebody insisting that her huge bag would fit into the overhead locker, despite it clearly being too big. In the end, the crew member took charge and said it would have to go in the hold. I was welcomed on board by the one and only cabin crew member and took my seat.
 photo BEL034.jpg
 photo BEL037.jpg

Good legroom here

 photo BEL036.jpg


Soon after, boarding was completed and I managed to score a free seat next to me, as did most people in fact. The crew member announced a flying time of 45 minutes, but the flight deck didn’t get in touch at all.
The safety announcements were completed and we made our way out to the runway.
 photo BEL041.jpg
There was a bit of a hold, until the engines spooled up, the brakes were released and we shot out over East London.
 photo BEL040.jpg
 photo BEL042.jpg
 photo BEL043.jpg
 photo BEL044.jpg
 photo BEL045.jpg
 photo BEL018.jpg
On the way up there were a few bumps until we cleared the clouds
 photo BEL020.jpg
 photo BEL035.jpg
Once we were clear, the crew member rolled the trolley to the front of the cabin and started the service. I asked for a G&T, but the crew member said the only alcoholic beverage they serve is wine. So I took a coke instead, along with some crisps. I was also offered tea or coffee, but declined.
 photo BEL021.jpg
 photo BEL022.jpg
 photo BEL024.jpg
 photo BEL046.jpg
Not too long after, we had crossed the channel and were flying along the coast.
 photo BEL026.jpg
 photo BEL027.jpg
The flight deck finally did get in touch – and simply said “20 minutes”. A few seconds later, it felt like a parachute had come to from behind us, and we were heading firmly back towards earth again.
 photo BEL038.jpg
 photo BEL039.jpg
 photo BEL049.jpg
We made our approach and touched down a few minutes ahead of schedule.
 photo BEL050.jpg
 photo BEL051.jpg
The door was opened pretty quickly and I was out on to the Tarmac amongst all the other resting Fokkers.
 photo BEL053.jpg
 photo BEL054.jpg
 photo BEL055.jpg
Passport control was pretty quick and it was then out into a deserted airport to wait for a bus.
 photo BEL056.jpg
 photo BEL063.jpg
Annoyingly, the buses didn’t go to the central station and there wasn’t an option to take a taxi – because there weren’t any. So I took my chances with the bus – once it eventually turned up.
 photo BEL047.jpg
I ended up a little nearer to the city, so headed off in the general direction of my hotel.
 photo BEL048.jpg
 photo BEL052.jpg
 photo BEL057.jpg
 photo BEL058.jpg
Around an hour or so later I finally arrived at the Radisson Blu.
 photo BEL059.jpg
 photo BEL061.jpg
 photo BEL062.jpg
I then went out to see what Antwerp had to offer, before meeting up with fellow a.netter MSS678 for dinner.
 photo BEL060.jpg
 photo BEL064.jpg
 photo BEL065.jpg
 photo BEL066.jpg
 photo BEL067.jpg
 photo BEL068.jpg
 photo BEL069.jpg

I’m led to believe this burger place is A.Net ANR tradition?

After arriving back in town, it was time for another brief walk.
 photo BEL070.jpg
After an interesting visit to Antwerp, it was time to head off to Brussels on the train.
 photo BEL071.jpg
 photo BEL079.jpg
After around 45 minutes or so, the train arrived at Brussels Central
 photo BEL072.jpg
 photo BEL073.jpg
 photo BEL074.jpg
 photo BEL075.jpg
 photo BEL076.jpg
 photo BEL077.jpg

Brussels’ most famous peeing resident

 photo BEL078.jpg
 photo BEL082.jpg
 photo BEL080.jpg

After a few visits to Brussels, this area is finally complete

Sampling a couple of Belgium’s most famous delicacies
 photo BEL081.jpg
 photo BEL088.jpg
A few hours later it was time to head off to BRU on the train from Brussels North.
 photo BEL093.jpg
 photo BEL096.jpg
 photo BEL098.jpg
Once I arrived, I grabbed a souvenir boarding pass from a machine.
 photo BEL099.jpg
 photo BEL101.jpg
 photo BEL102.jpg

2×3 seating… still the RJ (so far)

 photo BEL103.jpg
I Then headed up to the car park. I remember the views being better before however, so only stayed for a few minutes.
 photo BEL083.jpg
 photo BEL084.jpg
I headed through passport control and had a bit of a look around the shops.
 photo BEL105.jpg
I was tempted by a very reasonably priced MacBook Pro (£850), but having nearly everything in the iThings lineup I couldn’t really justify it. Instead, I had a look through a few of the windows around to see what was about.
 photo BEL085.jpg
 photo BEL086.jpg
 photo BEL087.jpg
Once I’d seen what was around, I headed through security and up to the Diamond lounge.
 photo BEL111.jpg
 photo BEL112.jpg
 photo BEL113.jpg
 photo BEL090.jpg
 photo BEL091.jpg
The views were reasonable, but no good for photos.
 photo BEL092.jpg
 photo BEL095.jpg
The food selection was pretty good.
 photo BEL124.jpg
 photo BEL127.jpg
 photo BEL114.jpg
 photo BEL115.jpg
 photo BEL123.jpg
 photo BEL094.jpg
 photo BEL089.jpg
This was one of the better third party lounges I’ve been in. It wasn’t too busy, had comfortable seats, free flowing cold drinks, a decent enough food lineup and a good enough view out of the window, even it it wasn’t too great for photography. The only downside was that the alcohol options were a little lacking, but that didn’t bother me too much.
 photo BEL116.jpg
The FID mentioned that there was a delay to my flight, but that boarding was also underway. Rather than run the risk of missing my flight, I reluctantly made my way down to the gate, even though if the delay was to be believed it was still a little early. I took the scenic route and saw this along the way.
 photo BEL097.jpg
Predictably, there were no signs of life outside.
 photo BEL100.jpg
Eventually, an A319 pulled in. So either a last minute change or we would be heading off to a remote gate. As it turned out, there was a last minute change of plane, and we were ushered down towards the A319. The plus side of this however was that all the B seats remained free.
 photo BEL104.jpg
 photo BEL129.jpg
 photo BEL130.jpg
 photo SNLogo.jpg
June 2014
Avro RJ100
Airbus A319/OO-SSE
Seat: 17A / B.Light
Scheduled: 16:40/17:05
Off Stand: 17:16
On Stand: 17:13

I took my seat whilst the pretty busy flight filled up. There was an announcement of the flight details, however it was so loud on board I couldn’t hear any of it.
 photo BEL131.jpg
 photo BEL106.jpg
A few moments later, the captain came on the PA and said the delay was caused by an aircraft change. The original one had a technical issue, therefore we had to wait for this one to arrive from Faro to operate this flight. He mentioned a quick flying time of 45 minutes.
 photo BEL107.jpg

I never knew Corendon had a Belgian arm?

We pushed back, the crew performed a quick safety demo and we made the short taxi over to the runway.
 photo BEL132.jpg
 photo BEL134.jpg
 photo BEL136.jpg
A few moments later we lifted off into the sunny skies.
 photo BEL137.jpg
 photo BEL138.jpg
 photo BEL139.jpg
After quite literally just a couple of minutes in the cruise, I got that parachute feeling again, and we were already heading back down to earth.
 photo BEL108.jpg
 photo BEL109.jpg
 photo BEL110.jpg
The crew performed their service run reasonably well, mainly because there didn’t appear to be too many takers.
 photo BEL117.jpg
 photo BEL140.jpg

Ex Iberia? Turned out this one had spent most of its life in the USA.

 photo BEL118.jpg

Over the UK now

 photo BEL119.jpg

Passing LCY

 photo BEL120.jpg
 photo BEL121.jpg
We flew past LHR, before spinning around on to finals.
 photo BEL122.jpg
 photo BEL125.jpg
 photo BEL126.jpg
 photo BEL142.jpg
 photo BEL143.jpg
 photo BEL144.jpg
 photo BEL145.jpg
Upon touchdown, we hit the brakes pretty hard in the last few metres in order to have a quick taxi over to our stand.
 photo BEL128.jpg
Despite the delay, we pulled on to stand just eight minutes late – and three minutes before we even left.
 photo BEL146.jpg
It was then through the endless corridors of T1 to passport control.
 photo BEL133.jpg

Passing a LOT classic along the way

 photo BEL135.jpg
I used the e-passport lane, although it seemed a little slower than the normal lane. Once I passed through, it was over to the central station for the coach home.
CityJet once more were pretty good, although I’m led to believe service has slipped slightly from previously.
Much the same can be said for Brussels Airlines. Their cabin was comfortable enough, much like my last trip on them. It was a little annoying I missed out on their RJ 100 (for the third time…) but at least they were able to find an aircraft to operate the service with minimal delay rather than cancel and cause a few issues.
My next series of reports will feature my trip to the USA and St. Maarten in August/September 2014:
 photo map.gif

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *