Hot off the press: British Airways have finally announced that they will be granting 12 month status extensions for their Executive Club status holders.
In an email sent earlier today, the airline said:
We all love to hear some good news every now and then. And so today, we wanted to tell you something that we hope will make you smile.British Airways Executive Club
As the world prepares to fly once more, we know there is still a long road ahead, and we wanted you to know that we’ll be right there with you every step of the journey.
To say thank you for all your loyalty and support, we’ve added 12 months extra onto your Gold Executive Club membership. So you have more time to enjoy your benefits, whenever you’re ready to return to the skies.
What’s more, it will be even easier to retain your Gold status next time you’re up for renewal, as we’ve decreased the amount of Tier Points needed by 25%. This is the same for upgrade thresholds too, making that next Tier more achievable.
You can read more information here, and other ways we’re supporting you during this period.
We hope that put a smile on your face. Thank you again for your loyalty.
Your Executive Club Team
In addition, the airline wil reduce the number of tier points needed to gain status for 2021/2022 by 25%. The new thresholds for status are:
- Bronze: 225 Tier Points or 18 eligible flights
- Silver: 450 Tier Points or 37 eligible flights
- Gold: 1125 Tier Points
Some further details include:
- The 12-month status extension will be applied automatically to those memberships with Tier Point collection end dates of July 2020 – June 2021.
- The 12-month status extension will be applied automatically in the next two weeks* to those memberships with Tier Point collection end dates of July 2020 – June 2021. *Members whose Tier Point collection end date was in May or June 2020, who did not meet the reduced qualification requirement for their Tier will have the 12-month extension applied to their new Tier once their current card expiry date has passed.
- If you are eligible for a Tier upgrade under the reduced Tier Point or eligible flight requirement, there is no need to contact us. This will be processed automatically once the required number of Tier Points or flights have been credited to your account.
- In addition, members will need to have flown a minimum number of British Airways or Iberia flights to qualify for the 25% Tier threshold reduction in order to upgrade, or subsequently renew their membership for the following year. This is 2 for Bronze membership, and 4 for Silver and Gold membership.
- To ensure our Members still have the opportunity to use their Gold Upgrade Vouchers, Companion Vouchers and Travel Together Tickets earned via a British Airways credit card, a 6-month expiration extension to any current vouchers has been applied.
Previously, the airline had only announced a reduction to the number of Tier Points needed to requalify for your status. This was only for those who had year expiries between March – May 2020 however. Personally, I had thought that they would likely hold out before any extensions would be announced. Due to the fluid nature of the virus situation, it would be pointless to give a 12 month extension to any status if you were unable to use it for 9 months.
A number of other airlines had already announced that they would be extending the status of their frequent flyers. Until now, British Airways has held off – presumably waiting to see what would happen with the world.