British Airways | Airbus A320/B747-400 | CDG-LHR-IAD | Euro Traveller/World Traveller Plus

 photo map.gif
Maps generated by theGreat Circle Mapper -copyright © Karl L. Swartz.
This second part will cover my journey back from Paris to London Heathrow, and then onwards to Wasington. For those that might have missed it, the first part of the series can be found here:
USA 2013 Pt 1: The Beginning BA LHR-ORY
A few days before departure, the seat map for the first sector opened right up and I managed to bag seat 5A, therefore having the middle seat free.
 photo BACDG-LHRseating-1.png
However a day later I was unexpectedly moved back to 7A, and the middle seat was no longer blocked, despite being the first row behind Club. Oh well. Of interest, the BA website said the aircraft type was the scheduled A319, despite it being a seatmap for an A320.
The onward sector to Washington remained pretty full throughout:
My morning started at 5am. I checked out of the hotel and headed over to the CDGVAL to terminal 2, arriving a few moments later.
 photo IMG_20130404_043239.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_043432.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_044622.jpg
 photo IMG_9484.jpg
Upon arrival, it was a pretty long walk over to the BA check in desks that were hidden in a basement.
 photo IMG_20130404_045148.jpg
When I got there, I was met with a pretty long queue however my BA status meant I could bypass this and head for the Club Europe check in where there wasn’t anybody waiting at all. There were a few problems upon checking in – first off, they said my api hadn’t been completed – which it had, and then when presenting my visa card for verification, they said this wasn’t the card used for payment… Yeah because the card I had used for payment had expired. Eventually everything was sorted, although I was a little upset I didn’t get given one of those transferring at T5 booklets!
After this it was through security. Reasonably busy, but not too slow. Basically the opposite experience of T5! As usual it was then straight into a duty free shop.
 photo IMG_20130404_051027.jpg
I wanted to buy a couple of bits, however I was told it was closed. In fact pretty much the whole terminal seemed closed.
 photo IMG_20130404_051326.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_052219.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_052313.jpg

That’ll explain why this place is deserted!

The only place I could really find to grab anything to drink was a vending machine… So that had to do.
It was then a case of waiting around at gate A47 for boarding to commence. A few moments later the crew of four cabin and two fligh turned up, but as there were no ground staff around, they were forced to wait too.
Unfortunately, the views weren’t brilliant, so couldn’t really see much of the movements outside.
Boarding eventually started at 07:00.
 photo IMG_20130404_060559.jpg
As I was heading down the jetway, I finally found a small window to see the landing gear doors – ‘YL meant I would be on one of the more recent additions to the BA fleet having joined just a few days over 22 months ago. Turned out this flight had been subbed for an A320 rather than the A319.
 photo IMG_20130404_060651.jpg
 photo BAlogo.jpg
4th April 2013
A320-232 / G-EUYL
Seat: 7A / Euro Traveller
Scheduled: 07:30/07:40
Off Stand: 07:28
On Stand: 08:05

Once on board, I was welcomed back by name and I noticed I did actually have the first row behind club, however I did have two seat mates – so I guess on the odd occasion all three seats behind club are sold? Either way, the legroom in this row was very good – better than I had experienced in Club/Business on both BA and other airlines in fact.
 photo IMG_20130404_060800.jpg
 photo IMG_9485.jpg

Albino El-Al next door

Shortly after the captain was on the PA saying boarding was complete well ahead of schedule and thanking everybody for arriving on time. It was now just a case of waiting for our slot to come around so we could push back. He also mentioned we would have to be de iced – a new experience for me! A flight time of 44 minutes was given so he was still hopeful of an on time arrival.
Push back was a couple of minutes ahead of schedule, however having to taxi to the furthest runway and then be de iced, despite being ready well ahead of schedule we didn’t actually lift off until 08:00 – a thirty minute delay.
 photo IMGA0192.jpg

This one followed us pretty much all the way – despite being on tow.
 photo IMGA0194.jpg
 photo IMGA0196.jpg

After ten or fifteen minutes or so, we entered the pit box to be de iced.
 photo IMGA0201.jpg
 photo IMGA0202.jpg
 photo IMGA0206.jpg
 photo IMGA0208.jpg
And a further ten minutes or so later, we pulled away, the flaps were extended, flight controls tested and made our way to the runway. Luckily we were allowed an intersection departure rather than having to taxi right to the threshold, which would no doubt take even more time.
 photo IMGA0212.jpg
 photo IMGA0214.jpg
 photo IMGA0215.jpg
 photo IMGA0217.jpg
Once we had departed, it was a few turns in the direction of the UK.
 photo IMGA0219.jpg
 photo IMGA0221.jpg
 photo IMG_9487.jpg
Once through the cloud layer the breakfast service started. Quite a tasty salami and cheese roll and a cup of tea. I didn’t actually ask for the OJ, but was handed it anyway. Nice and pro active there.
 photo IMG_20130404_071517.jpg
 photo IMG_9489.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_073230.jpg

Not often you get two windows in economy on an A32X!

While breakfast was going down, descent started. The crew made the round clearing the cabin – one guy being very cheerful indeed – whistling away and humming to himself for pretty much the whole flight! This was handy as I knew when to hide my camera as I could hear him coming from a few rows back! Once over the UK there was quite a few cloud layers.
 photo IMGA0229.jpg
 photo IMGA0230.jpg
This aircraft didn’t seem to have any drop down screens, so no way of tracking our progress. The flight was your typical short Euro hop really – takeoff, thrown a meal and a drink, have the rubbish snatched away shortly after and then land. As the skies were overcast throughout, there weren’t even any decent views to be had. Pretty non descript flight really – much like my sector over to MUC last year.
Unsurprisingly, we were placed into a hold for around ten minutes or so. The flight crew also mentioned that it was pretty chilly down there.
 photo IMG_9491.jpg
 photo IMG_9492.jpg
 photo IMG_9493.jpg
 photo IMG_9494.jpg
 photo IMG_9495.jpg
 photo IMG_9496.jpg

VS A330 also flying around in circles above us.

After a good few minutes in the hold above my house, we were ushered onto finals, although there wasn’t a huge amount to be seen. The cabin crew didn’t get the ‘seats for landing’ instruction until quite late into finals – pretty much as we passed Windsor actually.
 photo IMGA0238.jpg
 photo IMGA0239.jpg
 photo IMGA0244.jpg
 photo IMGA0245.jpg
We landed on to 09L at around 08:00, arriving on to stand a few moments later.
 photo IMGA0246.jpg
 photo IMGA0249.jpg

The AA 77W is a pretty common sight at LHR.
 photo IMGA0251.jpg

We then arrived on to stand and the normal stampede to exit began.
 photo 2013-04-04080717.jpg
Once into the terminal, it was a case of following the signs to flight connections.
 photo 2013-04-04080946.jpg
 photo 2013-04-04081420.jpg
I had my boarding pass scanned, welcomed back by name and asked how I was doing. I love how a little bit of status makes people so much nicer!
I was fine at that point, but then it was up to security. Now I’m not totally sure of the logic of making transfer passengers clear security again, but it was very slow, despite not being very busy. Very poor planning. Having spoken to my auntie who spent many years working for BAA over at T4 a week or so later, she said it was the same deal there too. Yet pretty much every other place I’ve transferred at I could just go straight to my next gate. I’m led to believe that even coming from another terminal at LHR avoids this extra security check. Very strange.
Soon after clearing security I paid another visit to the South end of the terminal
 photo IMG_9498.jpg

The problems getting out of Paris meant the aircrafts next mission had a 30 minute delay
 photo IMG_9499.jpg

Before long though, it was time to head over to gate B33 via the transit. I was glad about this as I’d not visited T5B before – at least while it was in operation!
 photo IMGA0253.jpg
 photo 2013-04-04084710.jpg
 photo 2013-04-04084750.jpg
 photo 2013-04-04085242.jpg

Nice choice of location for this one!
 photo 2013-04-04085400.jpg

Once at the gate I would either be on G-BYGA or G-BNLM.
 photo IMG_9501.jpg
 photo IMG_9502.jpg
As it turned out, it would be G-BYGA operating today’s flight, one of the newer 747’s in British Airways fleet, although I use that term loosely as the aircraft in question was delivered in 1998 wearing the Chelsea Rose world tail scheme.
Pre boarding was announced at 09:10, but that didn’t stop a huge group trying their luck anyway.
 photo IMGA0254.jpg
 photo 2013-04-04092518.jpg
They were promptly told to sit back down again though. Boarding proper started at 09:20, although there wasn’t any pre boarding for World Traveller Plus – one major difference from VS. It was finally my turn at 09:30 for my first BA longhaul flight for sixteen years.
 photo IMG_20130404_093506.jpg
 photo 2013-04-04093500.jpg
 photo BAlogo.jpg
4th April 2013
747-436 / G-BYGA
Seat: 30K / World Traveller Plus
Scheduled: 09:55/12:50
Off Stand: 09:58
On Stand: 12:47

 photo IMG_20130404_093810.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_093855.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_093926.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_094021.jpg
The legroom was good, however the IFE boxes were awkwardly placed.
 photo IMGA0255.jpg
 photo IMGA0256.jpg
The load in World Traveller Plus was pretty good. In fact I’m not sure I saw a spare seat.
The entertainment system was switched in from boarding, a new experience for me.
 photo IMG_20130404_094046.jpg
 photo IMGA0258.jpg
During boarding, the menus were handed out. Neither options really jumped out at me.
 photo IMGA0260.jpg
 photo IMGA0261.jpg
 photo IMGA0262.jpg

Safety demo in progress

Pushback was more or less on schedule, however upon reaching 09R there was a bit of a hold up.
 photo IMGA0263.jpg
Around ten minutes later, the flight deck were on the PA stating the hold up was due to the runway being inspected, and that we should be underway shortly although there was nothing to worry about as this is standard procedure. Around 10:25, we took to the air, making an immediate right turn and then into cloud. The captain had previously mentioned our route and it seemed we would be taking quite a northerly track.
 photo IMGA0268.jpg
 photo IMGA0269.jpg
 photo IMGA0270.jpg
 photo IMGA0272.jpg
 photo IMG_9505.jpg
Around twenty minutes after departure the drinks service began. This was a much better option than experienced with VS last year, as I’m not a fan of eating lunch at 11am! Doubles were dished out without asking.
 photo IMG_9506.jpg
 photo IMGA0278.jpg

Cabin overview shortly after departure

Once things outside had clouded over, I took a proper look at the IFE system. It was either touch screen or operated using the controller.
 photo IMG_9507.jpg
 photo IMG_9508.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_110032.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_110047.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_110125.jpg
 photo IMG_9511.jpg

We had company over Ireland.
 photo IMG_20130404_110702.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_110817.jpg

Around 12:00 London time the lunch service began. As I’d previously mentioned, neither option really jumped out at me, but I decided on the beef. It was very good actually, along with the starter and desert. In fact I’m pretty sure this was one of the only occasions I’d given a tray back with nothing left on it – including the cutlery!! I had a sneak peak at my seatmates fish, and although it smelled decent enough I’d didn’t look as appealing. I was led to belive that Word Traveller Plus has the same meal service as Club World, however the trolleys were dragged from the back of the cabin and carried on into World Traveller (economy) once we had been served. Although the food and presentation did seem of a high-ish quality. Certainly higher than what I’d expect of your standard economy meal service anyway.
 photo IMG_9514.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_113810.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_113816.jpg
After this I settled down to watch a couple of films – This Is 40 and I’ll Give It A Year. Typical plane movies really. Neither brilliant, but good enough to waste a few hours, along with a few glances outside.
 photo IMG_20130404_112555.jpg
 photo IMG_9525.jpg
 photo IMG_9516.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_121407.jpg
Throughout the flight, the crew were pretty good with distributing drinks – about every thirty minutes or so.
 photo IMG_20130404_133945.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_141223.jpg
Once the films had finished I’d, noticed we were passing a pretty cold area of Canada. The layout of the WTP cabin is a little awkward as the seats are set back from the windows, therefore making photography a little difficult. The fact row 30 is misaligned too didn’t help matters either.
 photo IMG_9518.jpg
 photo IMG_9520.jpg
 photo IMG_9526.jpg
 photo IMG_9527.jpg
Once the live IFE had finished, due to it clouding over, I went for a walk, and had a chat to the crew.
 photo IMG_20130404_152308.jpg

Pretty small economy cabin
 photo IMG_20130404_152518.jpg
Confirmation of the reg.
 photo IMG_20130404_152711.jpg

After I’d felt I’d outstayed my welcome in the galley, I returned to my seat. Luckily by this point the clouds had cleared and the views had returned. Just a shame I had a fairly important lump of metal blocking most of the view.
 photo IMG_9528.jpg
The final two hours of the flight were spent listening to music and watching the distance drop on the skymap. Final cruising altitude was 38,000ft
 photo IMG_9529.jpg
 photo IMG_9531.jpg
 photo IMG_9533.jpg

These had seen better days

With around 90 minutes of the flight remaining, afternoon tea was served. Very good also.
 photo IMG_9535.jpg
 photo IMG_9536.jpg
 photo IMG_9540.jpg

Slowly edging towards our destination
 photo IMG_9541.jpg
 photo IMGA0286.jpg

The flight was then winding down. The crew were tidying the cabin and at just before midday local, I felt us heading back towards solid ground so the iPod was switched off as things were going to get interesting again. We initially descended to 26,000ft and then around twenty minutes later descent started properly.
 photo IMG_9543.jpg
 photo IMG_9544.jpg
 photo IMGA0291.jpg
 photo IMGA0294.jpg
 photo IMGA0296.jpg
 photo IMGA0301.jpg
Touchdown was at around 12:45
 photo IMGA0302.jpg
 photo IMGA0307.jpg
We taxied over to the stand, pulling in alongside A KE 77W.
 photo IMG_9545.jpg
Disembarkation was pretty quick due to the dual airbridges I disembarked through L1 and it was on to one of the famous IAD moon buggies. There was a bit of a wait while it filled up, but then it was a pretty good tour of IAD, passing pretty close by a VX A320 just starting up – so close that it was actually too close to get a picture.
 photo IMG_20130404_174902.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_175332.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_175452.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_175934.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_175949.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_180228.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_180442.jpg
Immigration took around 30 minutes – not brilliant but still better than JFK by a long way.
 photo IMG_20130404_184046.jpg
Once through it was on to a bus for the thirty minute or so drive to Rosslyn station. The official bus was well signposted but there wasn’t a mention of any others. I eventually asked and was sent in the right direction
 photo IMG_20130404_184417.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_184727.jpg
 photo IMG_20130404_194915.jpg
Once at Rosslyn, it was on to the metro to my hotel, the Doubletree at Pentagon City. Upon checking in, I was informed that I’d been upgraded to a suite and given two free cookies! Result!
 photo IMG_9546.jpg
 photo IMG_9547.jpg
 photo IMG_9548.jpg
 photo IMG_9549.jpg
 photo IMG_9550.jpg

The view from the living area of my room.
 photo IMG_9553.jpg
And the view from the bedroom.

After a couple of hours, I headed back out to the local mall to grab a bite to eat.
 photo IMG_20130404_222917.jpg

Looks good doesn’t it Philip!
 photo IMG_20130404_224012.jpg
Wow, they’re accurate!

By the time I was done I was feeling pretty tired, so headed back, watched some awful American TV, watched a couple of arrivals into DCA and then went to bed.
 photo IMG_9556.jpg
The following morning, I headed out to see what Washington had to offer. Quite a bit actually – very nice city and everything was within a reasonable walking distance.
 photo IMG_9558.jpg
 photo IMG_9559.jpg
 photo IMG_9560.jpg
 photo IMG_9563.jpg

Shame this was closed off due to the earthquake a couple of years back.
 photo IMG_9566.jpg
 photo IMG_9567.jpg
 photo IMG_9569.jpg
Washington is also a good city for watching planes!
 photo IMG_9571.jpg
 photo IMG_9573.jpg
 photo IMG_9576.jpg
 photo IMG_9580.jpg
 photo IMG_9581.jpg
One of the locals
 photo IMG_9585.jpg
 photo IMG_9586.jpg
 photo IMG_9591.jpg
More planes
 photo IMG_9600.jpg
 photo IMG_9606.jpg
 photo IMG_9610.jpg
 photo IMG_9611.jpg
 photo IMG_9613.jpg
 photo IMG_9614.jpg
 photo IMG_9615.jpg
One of the many war memorials
 photo IMG_9617.jpg
 photo IMG_9620.jpg
 photo IMG_9621.jpg
 photo IMG_9623.jpg
 photo IMG_9625.jpg
American History Museum
 photo IMG_9626.jpg
 photo IMG_9627.jpg
 photo IMG_9629.jpg

After going to the American History museum, it was off to the one place I was looking forward to visiting the most on this trip. Well worth a visit it was too!
 photo IMG_9630.jpg
 photo IMG_9631.jpg
 photo IMG_9635.jpg
 photo IMG_9636.jpg
 photo IMG_9637.jpg
 photo IMG_9640.jpg
 photo IMG_9641.jpg
 photo IMG_9642.jpg
 photo IMG_9645.jpg

Wish BA (or at least the franchise) still had these.
 photo IMG_9646.jpg
 photo IMG_9649.jpg
 photo IMG_9650.jpg
 photo IMG_9652.jpg
 photo IMG_9655.jpg
 photo IMG_9659.jpg
 photo IMG_9664.jpg
I never knew this one was here.
 photo IMG_9667.jpg
 photo IMG_9670.jpg
 photo IMG_9671.jpg
Replica of the Hubble telescope.

After an enjoyable couple of hours, I headed out in the direction of the capital building and back towards Crystal City.
 photo IMG_9679.jpg
 photo IMG_9684.jpg
Once back at Crystal City I headed off in the direction of DCA. I had done a bit of research before hand and saw there was a park that could be within walking distance at the end of the runway. It was a 20 minute or so walk, but worth it. Wish I’d had a drink with me though!
 photo IMG_9693.jpg
 photo IMG_9686.jpg
 photo IMG_9690-1.jpg
 photo IMG_9702-1.jpg
 photo IMG_9707-1.jpg
 photo IMG_9713-1.jpg
 photo IMG_9720-1.jpg
 photo IMG_9729-1.jpg
After this I headed off to get some dinner, and then back to the hotel for the evening.
The next day, I took a walk down to the long bridge park and watched a few of the departures from DCA.
 photo IMG_9744.jpg
 photo IMG_9746.jpg
 photo IMG_9733-1.jpg
 photo IMG_9749.jpg
 photo IMG_9751.jpg
 photo IMG_9755-1.jpg
 photo IMG_9766.jpg

This was about as close as I would get to the Pentagon

Once I was done I headed over to the pentagon city mall to grab a bite to eat and had a bit of a wonder. Oh and having a very attractive young lady trying to sell me some moisturizer for just $150. As a bonus she said she would throw her phone number and email in, but unfortunately for her I wasn’t born yesterday.
 photo IMG_20130404_221727.jpg
After this, I jumped on the Metro to the Arlington cemetery and had a relaxing walk around for the next couple of hours.
 photo IMG_9772.jpg
 photo IMG_9773.jpg
 photo IMG_9778.jpg
 photo IMG_9779.jpg
 photo IMG_9780.jpg
 photo IMG_9783.jpg
 photo IMG_9789.jpg
 photo IMG_9790.jpg
 photo IMG_9791.jpg
And on that note, I’ll leave this part of the report. Look out for part 3 that will cover a frustrating experience at DCA and my flight over to Chicago that almost didn’t happen.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *