AA/BA | B738/A380 | LAS-LAX-LHR | First/WTP

 photo map.gif
Maps generated by theGreat Circle Mapper -copyright © Karl L. Swartz.
So picking up from the last part. I’d just arrived in Las Vegas and was keen to explore, and see what had changed since my last visit in 2002.
 photo IMG_3275.jpg

Pool area in the Tropicana

 photo _MG_7221.jpg
 photo _MG_7241.jpg
 photo _MG_7224.jpg
 photo _MG_7227.jpg
 photo _MG_7230.jpg
 photo _MG_7233.jpg
Inside the Luxor:
 photo _MG_7237.jpg
Taking a not too long, but very hot (the temperature was 40 degrees+, but thankfully not too humid) walk out to the famous sign.
 photo _MG_7240.jpg
Checking out the Paris – I’d not been inside this one before.
 photo _MG_7249.jpg
 photo _MG_7250.jpg
 photo _MG_7254.jpg
One of the new additions to the strip:
 photo _MG_7260.jpg
The Venetian. I preferred this to the real Venice, as it was far easier to leave…
 photo _MG_7263.jpg
 photo _MG_7266.jpg
One of the older blocks:
 photo _MG_7277.jpg
But the most fun (and the best pictures) to be had in Vegas is when the sun goes down.
 photo _MG_7286.jpg
This one had only opened a few day previously – it was formerly The Sahara – A hotel that I’d stayed in many times.
 photo _MG_7288.jpg
Great dinner at The Outback
 photo IMG_3305.png
 photo IMG_3306.png
The famous Fremont Street
 photo _MG_7291.jpg
 photo _MG_7293.jpg
 photo _MG_7294.jpg
 photo _MG_7296.jpg
 photo _MG_7305.jpg
After a pretty late night out (or technically, early morning) it was a late start the following day.
 photo _MG_7308.jpg
 photo _MG_7315.jpg
Taking one last look at probably my favourite hotel on the strip – the NYNY:
 photo IMG_3253.jpg
 photo IMG_3254.jpg
Complete with lunch from a NY style pizzeria
 photo IMG_3344.jpg
When the time came to return to the airport it was a little frustrating to say the least. I’d arranged to be picked up from the hotel at 12:50 – their recommendation, not mine. So I made it there by 12:40. By 13:00, no bus. By 13:15, still no bus, so I called them. Their answer was “they’re ruining a little late…” Finally at 13:35, some 45 minutes late and I was finally on my way.
 photo IMG_3360.jpg
 photo IMG_3361.jpg
Terrible service. And to make matters worse, the driver just dumped everybody in the middle of the road hen we arrived at the airport!
 photo IMG_3362.jpg
I made my way over to check in where I was seen to in just a minute or two.
 photo IMG_3363.jpg
 photo IMG_3364.jpg
 photo IMG_3365.jpg
After this I took the slow walk up to security, stopping for a brief look around the museum along the way, although it wasn’t all that interesting.
 photo IMG_3370.jpg
 photo IMG_3367.jpg
 photo IMG_3371.jpg
Of course, plenty of slots here:
 photo IMG_3368.jpg
 photo IMG_3372.jpg
As I passed through security, the following message appeared on my phone.
 photo IMG_3373.png
Although the local FID’s were saying otherwise.
 photo IMG_3374.jpg
As there weren’t any lounges I could use here in LAS – either via OneWorld status or Airport Angel, I grabbed a drink from a stand and sat next to a window to watch what was going on outside.
 photo _MG_7327.jpg

Pretty busy out

 photo _MG_7329.jpg
 photo _MG_7331.jpg
I then made my way down to my assigned gateUpon reaching there, an AA 737 was just pulling in to stand. Hmm.
 photo _MG_7333.jpg
A bit of searching online said this was the inbound flight from LAX and was also due to operate back there, so maybe there wasn’t a delay after all? I asked the ground agent and she said that it was all on time… And that I was about the fifth person to say it was due to depart at 5pm! I’ve since had the complete opposite issue in Madrid where the staff were saying the flight was delayed, but online was convinced we were on time. On that occasion, we departed around fifteen minutes late and ended up arriving more or less on time.
 photo IMG_3375.png
Boarding was announced a few minutes later and I was the first on board
 photo AAlogo.jpg
September 2014
Boeing 737-800 / N957AN
Seat: 6A / First Class
Scheduled: 15:45/17:00
Off Stand: 15:39
On Stand: 16:45

 photo IMG_3376.jpg
Initially I did have a seatmate, however as soon as it became apparent the cabin wouldn’t be full, they moved to the row in front.
 photo _MG_7335.jpg
 photo _MG_7336.jpg
 photo _MG_7340.jpg
During boarding, the now standard beaker of water was handed out
 photo IMG_3378.jpg
We pushed back more than a couple of minutes early and made a long but speedy taxi over to the active.
 photo _MG_7341.jpg
 photo IMG_3382.jpg
 photo IMG_3384.jpg
We departed and spun around to cross the desert over to LA
 photo IMG_3386.jpg
 photo _MG_7342.jpg
 photo _MG_7344.jpg
 photo _MG_7346.jpg
The crew started the drinks run. I was expecting the service to be identical to the one I received on my TPA-MIA sector as the flight was under an hour, however the snack basket that was present on my PHL-TPA sector appeared and I chose some biscuits.
 photo _MG_7352.jpg
Once I had finished, the mass urban spread of LA had come into view, and the captain had given the instruction for the crew to prepare for landing.
 photo _MG_7355.jpg
 photo _MG_7357.jpg
 photo _MG_7358.jpg
 photo _MG_7364.jpg
On approach we had some company – which meant we would be landing on 24R.
 photo _MG_7360.jpg
 photo _MG_7365.jpg
We did indeed land on this runway and then made a pretty long journey over to the AA terminal.
 photo _MG_7367.jpg
 photo IMG_3392.jpg
 photo IMG_3393.jpg
 photo IMG_3395.jpg
 photo IMG_3396.jpg
 photo _MG_7371.jpg
 photo _MG_7374.jpg
Upon arrival on to stand, it was only a couple of minutes or two until everybody was released, and it was off through to baggage reclaim.
 photo IMG_3399.jpg
 photo IMG_3400.jpg
There was a wait of around fifteen minutes until the belt fired into life – and then a further ten minute wait for my bag to appear. Despite my bag having a priority tag, I’ve noticed on this trip that they don’t seem to mean much – as mine was one of the first priority tagged bags to appear on this occasion, whilst many more regular bags came and went. It was then outside for the shuttle over to the Hilton at LAX, which arrived after around ten minutes.
 photo IMG_3405.png

Passing an iconic building on the shuttle

Once more, I was given an upgraded room – and once more, I had more than enough room to spread out.
 photo _MG_7375.jpg
 photo _MG_7376.jpg
 photo _MG_7377.jpg

The view of the arrivals was decent enough too.

 photo _MG_7382.jpg
As transportation options in LA aren’t brilliant, the rest of the evening consisted of venturing out to Denny’s for some dinner and watching rubbish on the TV. I didn’t feel like I’d missed out too much though. Much like Miami, earlier on this trip, I’d visited Los Angeles at least a dozen times previously so wasn’t really missing anything I hadn’t seen already.
 photo IMG_3412.jpg
Luckily, local a.netter The777Man was available the following day so was able to take me around the area. First off we visited Imperial Hill which gives a great view over LAX:
 photo _MG_7384.jpg
 photo _MG_7386.jpg
 photo _MG_7387.jpg
 photo _MG_7390.jpg
 photo _MG_7394.jpg
 photo _MG_7401.jpg
 photo _MG_7408.jpg
 photo _MG_7414.jpg
 photo _MG_7417.jpg
 photo _MG_7421.jpg
 photo _MG_7433.jpg
After this we made the drive to Hollywood:
 photo _MG_7438.jpg
 photo _MG_7440.jpg
 photo _MG_7441.jpg
 photo _MG_7442.jpg
Before heading in the direction of Griffith Park
 photo _MG_7445.jpg
 photo _MG_7446.jpg
 photo _MG_7448.jpg
We then headed back towards the airport for an In-N-Out burger:
 photo _MG_7456.jpg
 photo _MG_7450.jpg
 photo _MG_7455.jpg
 photo _MG_7458.jpg
 photo _MG_7460.jpg

Lady Penelope – my most flown aircraft.

 photo _MG_7471.jpg
 photo _MG_7477.jpg
 photo _MG_7490.jpg
 photo _MG_7507.jpg
 photo _MG_7511.jpg
 photo _MG_7529.jpg
 photo _MG_7540.jpg
We then headed back up to Imperial Hill for my final hour or so in the USA.
 photo _MG_7551.jpg
 photo _MG_7555.jpg
 photo _MG_7574.jpg
 photo _MG_7559.jpg
 photo _MG_7580.jpg
 photo _MG_7610.jpg
 photo _MG_7612.jpg

Unusual to catch one of these in working order. The previous days flight was operated by a Euro Atlantic 777

 photo _MG_7622.jpg
After watching this one, it was time to head off to the airport. Thanks for the great day out Lars – very much appreciated!
 photo IMG_3419.jpg
After arriving at LAX, I headed over to a pretty quiet check in area where I was seen to pretty much straight away, and without so much as a word said.
 photo IMG_3423.jpg
 photo IMG_3421.jpg
 photo IMG_3422.jpg
When I noticed once again that the agent failed to put a priority tag on I queried it. The response was “it doesn’t need one, but I suppose I can put one on anyway”. Gee, thanks. Although I’ve since learned that OneWorld Sapphire card holders aren’t entitled to priority baggage, and it turns the MH check in staff I’d encountered on a previous trip were obviously just being very kind.
I headed through security and up to the new OneWorld lounge.
 photo IMG_3424.jpg
 photo IMG_3425.jpg
 photo IMG_3429.jpg
 photo IMG_3430.jpg
 photo IMG_3434.jpg
 photo _MG_7625.jpg
 photo _MG_7628.jpg
 photo IMG_3440.jpg

Interesting how the only newspapers on offer were UK ones.

The hot food selection was good enough.
 photo IMG_3437.jpg
 photo IMG_3435.jpg
 photo IMG_3433.jpg
The cake selection was where I got my monies worth however.
 photo IMG_3444.jpg
 photo IMG_3436.jpg
 photo _MG_7626.jpg
Around forty five minutes before departure, I headed downstairs, to find G-XLEE on stand.
 photo IMG_3445.jpg
 photo _MG_7632.jpg
As the boarding process was being announced, pretty much everybody decided it was their time to board, despite the ground crew being quite insistent that boarding would be done by row number.
 photo IMG_3446.jpg
 photo IMG_3450.jpg
All this succeeded in was making everybody crowd the gate area. Boarding was held up slightly, by the guy in front if me complaining to the ground staff that he was entitled to an upgrade due to the fact he was a frequent flyer. I caught a glimpse of his card, and he was a OneWorld Ruby… Hmm. He then got completely lost due to the fact there were two jetbridges downstairs and one upstairs. Maybe not quite that frequent then, at least on this route.
 photo BAlogo.jpg
September 2014
Airbus A380 / G-XLEE
Seat: 66A / World Traveller Plus
Scheduled: 21:45/16:00
Off Stand: 21:44
On Stand: 15:48

Once I did get on board I found the usual pillow, blanket, headphones and amenity kit waiting.
 photo IMG_3454.jpg
 photo IMG_3455.jpg
 photo IMG_3453.jpg
 photo _MG_7633.jpg
 photo _MG_7634.jpg
 photo IMG_3464.jpg
Once most were aboard, menus and pre boarding drinks were distributed.
 photo IMG_3462.png
 photo IMG_3463.png
The captain welcomed everybody and announced a flying time of nine hours and thirty minutes.
 photo IMG_3456.jpg
 photo IMG_3459.jpg
We pushed back a minute ahead of schedule, although we then sat and waited for a good fifteen minutes to get going. Once we did, it was a short journey out to the active. The only other aircraft ahead of us to depart was a VS A346 – so pretty much a head to head race to LHR! I’m pretty sure we won, as it was one of only two VS A346’s in the new livery, and I didn’t see any around when we arrived.
 photo IMG_3468.jpg
We ambled into the air at 22:10 local and made the standard two left turns over the ocean to set us on course for London.
 photo _MG_7636.jpg
 photo _MG_7638.jpg
 photo _MG_7639.jpg
 photo _MG_7641.jpg
Around twenty minutes after departure, the drinks service started.
 photo IMG_3474.jpg
Followed around thirty minutes later by dinner. I chose the beef.
 photo _MG_7643.jpg
 photo IMG_3476.jpg
 photo IMG_3477.jpg
 photo IMG_3479.jpg
Along with bad neighbours on the IFE.
 photo _MG_7642.jpg
Followed by Curb Your Enthusiasm.
 photo IMG_3483.jpg
Before it had even ended, and before my meal tray had been collected, I fell asleep and didn’t wake up again until an hour and a half before landing.
 photo _MG_7645.jpg
 photo _MG_7646.jpg
 photo _MG_7644.jpg
 photo _MG_7647.jpg
 photo _MG_7649.jpg
More or less as the breakfast service started in fact.
 photo _MG_7650.jpg
 photo _MG_7651.jpg
 photo _MG_7652.jpg
Catching up with the BA Highlife magazine until descent started.
 photo _MG_7654.jpg
Around forty minutes before arrival, the captain gave the usual speech informing everybody about our arrival. A few moments later descent started.
 photo IMG_3488.png

Familiar area….

It was a but of a hazy descent and approach, therefore not much to be seen in the way down.
 photo IMG_3492.jpg
 photo IMG_3493.jpg
We made a very smooth touchdown, the sort where you’re not quite sure if you’ve actually landed or not, and made the slow journey over to T5C.
 photo IMG_3497.jpg
 photo IMG_3499.jpg
Upon arrival, the captain mentioned that we were ten minutes ahead of schedule. But then it took ten minutes to get the doors open so any advantage was lost. We pulled in alongside G-XLEB, which we had watched depart from LAX whilst eating our burgers just a few hours previously. I believe it was due to head out to HKG that evening.
 photo _MG_7655.jpg
On my way out, I asked if it was possible to visit the flight deck – as there was no way I’d make the 16:15 coach, and it was a bit of a wait until the next one. This was granted without issue and we had a chat about the “brake to vacate” system on the A380.
 photo _MG_7656.jpg
After this, it was on to a very slow and busy walk along the jet bridge through to arrivals. Despite taking my time disembarking, spending a good ten minutes on the flight deck, there were still people piling off!
 photo IMG_3502.jpg
Upon heading down to the transit, I noticed that the underground walkway was slightly better advertised than previously – so I took this option instead.
 photo IMG_3503.jpg
 photo IMG_3504.jpg
It was then the usual formalities, before heading down to Baggage claim.
 photo IMG_3505.jpg
It took around fifteen minutes for my bag to show up – and I had noticed that the priority tag that I’d made a point of asking for in LAX had vanished. Hmm. Around ten minutes later, it was on to the bus heading for home. As I’m a regular on the service now, the driver recognised me and we chatted all the way home – seems as though there’s some interesting changes coming up, as the service isn’t doing as well as National Express had hoped.
 photo IMG_3506.jpg
And so concludes another series.
I’d love to be able to give an in depth review of these flights, but having a forty minute or so hop on AA yielded a pretty basic service – which was to be expected really. And the fact I slept through most of the BA flight proved that their World Traveller Plus seats on the A380 are more than comfortable long haul. A special note should be given to the OneWorld lounge in LAX though – that was definitely one of the better ones I’d been in.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *